Biolytix Installation Helps Environment

Biolytix Installation Helps Environment

Issues surrounding the water quality near the Muri lagoon have resulted in the installation of a new type of environmentally friendly waste treatment programme in houses in the area.

Words by Biolytix

Over 200 homes have taken on the waste management initiative (WMI), which asks home owners to contribute $1000 to set up the unit, with the government paying the remaining costs of the tank.

The units, known as BioPods, are being installed by local contractor Raro Plumbers and overseen by Biolytix general manager, Karl Geisler. “It usually takes around 4 hours to do a job, we decommission the existing septic tank, and then install the new treatment systems”. Geisler said. “We use tiger worms that digest 90 percent of the solids into liquid. The remaining 10 percent turn into worm castings, which they continue to feed on”.

The New Zealand-operated units boast some impressive stats, including 90 percent reduction in energy costs, meaning people can save up to $500 on their power bills. “The best thing about this system is it’s a very low-power system. It uses 0.1 kilowatt a day and costs around $30.00 a year to run.”

The pilot scheme is the result of local and international studies that found the leading cause of pollution are poorly installed or maintained sanitation systems. Around 90 percent of homes in the area do not comply with the regulations implemented in 2008 as part of the 2004 Public Health Act.

Matiu Workman - Cook Islands News / Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Biolytix

We had been aware of the award winning Biolytix wastewater treatment solution for some time and were impressed with it unique yet intrinsically simple approach to...

Recommended reading
Done tagging
Full screen
Biolytix Installation Helps Environment

Biolytix Installation Helps Environment

Issues surrounding the water quality near the Muri lagoon have resulted in the installation of a new type of environmentally friendly waste treatment programme in houses in the area.

Words by Biolytix

Over 200 homes have taken on the waste management initiative (WMI), which asks home owners to contribute $1000 to set up the unit, with the government paying the remaining costs of the tank.

The units, known as BioPods, are being installed by local contractor Raro Plumbers and overseen by Biolytix general manager, Karl Geisler. “It usually takes around 4 hours to do a job, we decommission the existing septic tank, and then install the new treatment systems”. Geisler said. “We use tiger worms that digest 90 percent of the solids into liquid. The remaining 10 percent turn into worm castings, which they continue to feed on”.

The New Zealand-operated units boast some impressive stats, including 90 percent reduction in energy costs, meaning people can save up to $500 on their power bills. “The best thing about this system is it’s a very low-power system. It uses 0.1 kilowatt a day and costs around $30.00 a year to run.”

The pilot scheme is the result of local and international studies that found the leading cause of pollution are poorly installed or maintained sanitation systems. Around 90 percent of homes in the area do not comply with the regulations implemented in 2008 as part of the 2004 Public Health Act.

Matiu Workman - Cook Islands News / Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Get in touch with
Biolytix

Request pricing/info
Visit website
Recommended reading
Done tagging
Full screen
Biolytix Installation Helps Environment

Biolytix Installation Helps Environment

Issues surrounding the water quality near the Muri lagoon have resulted in the installation of a new type of environmentally friendly waste treatment programme in houses in the area.

Words by Biolytix

Over 200 homes have taken on the waste management initiative (WMI), which asks home owners to contribute $1000 to set up the unit, with the government paying the remaining costs of the tank.

The units, known as BioPods, are being installed by local contractor Raro Plumbers and overseen by Biolytix general manager, Karl Geisler. “It usually takes around 4 hours to do a job, we decommission the existing septic tank, and then install the new treatment systems”. Geisler said. “We use tiger worms that digest 90 percent of the solids into liquid. The remaining 10 percent turn into worm castings, which they continue to feed on”.

The New Zealand-operated units boast some impressive stats, including 90 percent reduction in energy costs, meaning people can save up to $500 on their power bills. “The best thing about this system is it’s a very low-power system. It uses 0.1 kilowatt a day and costs around $30.00 a year to run.”

The pilot scheme is the result of local and international studies that found the leading cause of pollution are poorly installed or maintained sanitation systems. Around 90 percent of homes in the area do not comply with the regulations implemented in 2008 as part of the 2004 Public Health Act.

Matiu Workman - Cook Islands News / Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Get in touch with
Biolytix

Request pricing/info
Visit website
Done tagging
Full screen