Pettigrew House

Website

This project started life as Pettigrew House, a two storey residential home in Opunake that was first constructed in 1879. Pettigrew House was built in 1879-80 by John Pettigrew. The rock and gravel material for the walls was obtained from a local metal pit (lahar), and mixed with lime imported from Scotland. The mix was poured between rough wooden boxing, with sizeable rocks place within the walls. No cement or reinforcing was used. The ground floor had timber framed sash windows and a timber floor. The second storey was built over the base of the previous house on the site in 1984 and used a reinforced slab supported around the perimeter by mock-classical columns. Although the modern additions had been made to the house the original house remains relatively unchanged except for an archway through one room to give access to a larger area. The two completely different construction eras and looks were both very tired, cold and in need of an upgrade. A very difficult renovation which apart from the normal issues when renovating like the building not being square or plumb so cost effective solutions were need for such work as replace the timber floor and deal with concrete walls that have very little strength.
The client’s brief was for a complete property transformation to bring Pettigrew House back to her former glory whilst righting the wrongs of the 1980’s addition and bringing the level of finish into the 21st century. A new boat shed emulating the form of the main dwelling completes the fulfilment of the client’s brief.
 
The design strategy was to preserve the original dwelling whilst eliminating the aesthetic of the 1984 addition. The new design involved a full reroof and reclad, removal of the bay windows, new thermally broken double glazed windows, full insulation and a complete interior makeover including improved space planning and reallocation and distribution of spaces. A new upper level deck forms a vantage point to take in the rural and mountain views. Solar control to the west facing upper office is dealt with through motorised external louvres.
The lower level interior reinvigorates the heritage of the 1879 dwelling with period detailing revitalised and with special attention given to the preservation of the exterior walls highlighting the strong textural language of the original construction techniques. The spaces provide a self-contained retreat for visiting friends and family along with the owner’s office and library complete with wheeled ladder and custom shelving. The 1984 structural columns have been pushed down they visual hierarchy by framing out the capitals and concealing the corner ones within a new structure. Window fenestration emulates the original double hung windows. The rotten timber floor was replaced with new concrete floor housing hydronic heating.
The upper level contains the main living spaces and master suite. Full redecoration includes custom joinery and finishes throughout. The kitchen design was carefully worked through to ensure efficient use of space given the constraints of the existing structure. New windows frame the mountain and rural vistas and make the most of the elevated floor plate. 

Colours & Materials:

  • Wall Cladding: Cedar Bevelback Weatherboard, Mineral Plaster painted Resene 1/4 White Pointer 
  • Roofing: Colorsteel MAXX Corrugate
  • Decking: Purple Heart
  • Louvres: Louvretec Motorised
  • Aluminium Joinery: Vantage Aluminium Thermal Heart – Silver Pearl
Visit professional's website
Enquire about the process / fees
Plans
Contact details

Professionals used on this project

Also from Imagine Building Design

Show more categories!
Done tagging
Full screen

Pettigrew House

This project started life as Pettigrew House, a two storey residential home in Opunake that was first constructed in 1879. Pettigrew House was built in 1879-80 by John Pettigrew. The rock and gravel material for the walls was obtained from a local metal pit (lahar), and mixed with lime imported from Scotland. The mix was poured between rough wooden boxing, with sizeable rocks place within the walls. No cement or reinforcing was used. The ground floor had timber framed sash windows and a timber floor. The second storey was built over the base of the previous house on the site in 1984 and used a reinforced slab supported around the perimeter by mock-classical columns. Although the modern additions had been made to the house the original house remains relatively unchanged except for an archway through one room to give access to a larger area. The two completely different construction eras and looks were both very tired, cold and in need of an upgrade. A very difficult renovation which apart from the normal issues when renovating like the building not being square or plumb so cost effective solutions were need for such work as replace the timber floor and deal with concrete walls that have very little strength.
The client’s brief was for a complete property transformation to bring Pettigrew House back to her former glory whilst righting the wrongs of the 1980’s addition and bringing the level of finish into the 21st century. A new boat shed emulating the form of the main dwelling completes the fulfilment of the client’s brief.
 
The design strategy was to preserve the original dwelling whilst eliminating the aesthetic of the 1984 addition. The new design involved a full reroof and reclad, removal of the bay windows, new thermally broken double glazed windows, full insulation and a complete interior makeover including improved space planning and reallocation and distribution of spaces. A new upper level deck forms a vantage point to take in the rural and mountain views. Solar control to the west facing upper office is dealt with through motorised external louvres.
The lower level interior reinvigorates the heritage of the 1879 dwelling with period detailing revitalised and with special attention given to the preservation of the exterior walls highlighting the strong textural language of the original construction techniques. The spaces provide a self-contained retreat for visiting friends and family along with the owner’s office and library complete with wheeled ladder and custom shelving. The 1984 structural columns have been pushed down they visual hierarchy by framing out the capitals and concealing the corner ones within a new structure. Window fenestration emulates the original double hung windows. The rotten timber floor was replaced with new concrete floor housing hydronic heating.
The upper level contains the main living spaces and master suite. Full redecoration includes custom joinery and finishes throughout. The kitchen design was carefully worked through to ensure efficient use of space given the constraints of the existing structure. New windows frame the mountain and rural vistas and make the most of the elevated floor plate. 

Colours & Materials:

  • Wall Cladding: Cedar Bevelback Weatherboard, Mineral Plaster painted Resene 1/4 White Pointer 
  • Roofing: Colorsteel MAXX Corrugate
  • Decking: Purple Heart
  • Louvres: Louvretec Motorised
  • Aluminium Joinery: Vantage Aluminium Thermal Heart – Silver Pearl
Visit professional's website
Enquire about the process / fees
Plans
Contact details

Professionals used on this project

Also from Imagine Building Design

Show more categories!
Done tagging
Full screen

Pettigrew House

This project started life as Pettigrew House, a two storey residential home in Opunake that was first constructed in 1879. Pettigrew House was built in 1879-80 by John Pettigrew. The rock and gravel material for the walls was obtained from a local metal pit (lahar), and mixed with lime imported from Scotland. The mix was poured between rough wooden boxing, with sizeable rocks place within the walls. No cement or reinforcing was used. The ground floor had timber framed sash windows and a timber floor. The second storey was built over the base of the previous house on the site in 1984 and used a reinforced slab supported around the perimeter by mock-classical columns. Although the modern additions had been made to the house the original house remains relatively unchanged except for an archway through one room to give access to a larger area. The two completely different construction eras and looks were both very tired, cold and in need of an upgrade. A very difficult renovation which apart from the normal issues when renovating like the building not being square or plumb so cost effective solutions were need for such work as replace the timber floor and deal with concrete walls that have very little strength.
The client’s brief was for a complete property transformation to bring Pettigrew House back to her former glory whilst righting the wrongs of the 1980’s addition and bringing the level of finish into the 21st century. A new boat shed emulating the form of the main dwelling completes the fulfilment of the client’s brief.
 
The design strategy was to preserve the original dwelling whilst eliminating the aesthetic of the 1984 addition. The new design involved a full reroof and reclad, removal of the bay windows, new thermally broken double glazed windows, full insulation and a complete interior makeover including improved space planning and reallocation and distribution of spaces. A new upper level deck forms a vantage point to take in the rural and mountain views. Solar control to the west facing upper office is dealt with through motorised external louvres.
The lower level interior reinvigorates the heritage of the 1879 dwelling with period detailing revitalised and with special attention given to the preservation of the exterior walls highlighting the strong textural language of the original construction techniques. The spaces provide a self-contained retreat for visiting friends and family along with the owner’s office and library complete with wheeled ladder and custom shelving. The 1984 structural columns have been pushed down they visual hierarchy by framing out the capitals and concealing the corner ones within a new structure. Window fenestration emulates the original double hung windows. The rotten timber floor was replaced with new concrete floor housing hydronic heating.
The upper level contains the main living spaces and master suite. Full redecoration includes custom joinery and finishes throughout. The kitchen design was carefully worked through to ensure efficient use of space given the constraints of the existing structure. New windows frame the mountain and rural vistas and make the most of the elevated floor plate. 

Colours & Materials:

  • Wall Cladding: Cedar Bevelback Weatherboard, Mineral Plaster painted Resene 1/4 White Pointer 
  • Roofing: Colorsteel MAXX Corrugate
  • Decking: Purple Heart
  • Louvres: Louvretec Motorised
  • Aluminium Joinery: Vantage Aluminium Thermal Heart – Silver Pearl
Visit professional's website
Enquire about the process / fees
Plans
Contact details

Professionals used on this project

Done tagging
Full screen